We sell rims and wheelsets without tires, but that doesn’t mean we are careless about tire compatibility. Ease of installation, inflation and safety are all important considerations when building high-quality carbon rims. We use a proven rim bed design that can facilitate the installation of most tires. The high-pressure test is also very important, especially for road rims. This is where our tire installation test comes in.
A road rim set up tubeless with a Giant Gavia tire is placed in the chamber of the test machine for an inflation test. When the rim is taken out, we check for any cracks or sidewall deformation. The aim of this test is to assess the behavior of the rim-tire interface at ultra-high pressures.
The rim must endure high air pressures (152 psi at most) for 15 minutes without cracking or other damage. The deformation of the rim edge due to inflation must be within 0.4mm.
|Size||Model||Width||Depth||Bead Type||Tire Type|
|700C||AR45 disc||21/28mm||45mm||Hooked||Tubeless Ready
(with spoke access holes)
The test machine is a large rectangular stainless steel box with a remote control air compressor. The sidewalls and base of the chamber within which the test rim rests are thickened and reinforced for explosion-proofing and silencing effects.
|Tire||Giant Gavia AC1 TLC (700×25C)|
|Max Pressure||152 psi|
|Min Pressure||> 140 psi|
- Step 1: Tape the rim to cover the spoke access holes, insert a valve, and mount the Giant Gavia AC1 tire onto the AR45 rim.
- Step 2: Place the tire-installed rim (with 0psi) in the chamber and inflate the tire up to 148psi and hold for about 3 mins.
- Step 3: Lower the pressure a bit (still higher than 140psi) and hold for 10 mins.
- Step 4: Increase the pressure to 152psi and hold for 2 mins.
- Step 5: After the 15-min test, lower the pressure to 120psi (normal state) and take out the test sample. Check the rim edge for cracks. Use calipers to measure the actual rim width around the edge to detect any noticeable deforms.
The sidewall deformation is within 0.15mm and the AR45 rim remains intact after the 15-min inflation. Test passed.
© All photos and test data by Light Bicycle